"I cannot live without books." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Ladies of Style


So Martha Washington was a babe.

Michelle Obama does sit-up, push-ups, arm curls or all three.

First Ladies are all in the news these days, their style and their purpose got me thinking about books about First Ladies of the good ole ' USA and other ladies as well.

Michelle Style: Celebrating the First Lady of Fashion by Mandi Norwood (May 2009)



It also got me thinking about the lack of books about gentlemen leaders and their clothes. I wonder why? Is it because they all wear the same thing? I remember some mention of Obama's lapel pin or lack there of, he wears one now all of the time. And one picture with Former President Bush and Former Prime Minister Putin of Russia wearing some tunic-y, gown like thing that did not flatter either very well.

But all in all if men wear dark suits, light shirts and ties in blue, black, red, purple or yellow, all is right in the world.

Anyway back to the ladies.

So hear are some interesting tomes on women who held power or sat next to the throne. What they wore, thought (thank you) and why.

Jacqueline Kennedy : The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library by Museum by New York Metropolitan Museum


My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams



Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution by Caroline Weber

Anyway I am going to go do some push-ups I want guns like the First Lady.

Here we go: 1, 2, 3, 3... 3..okay one more try 3.. damn.

T.

No comments: