"I cannot live without books." -- Thomas Jefferson

Friday, May 15, 2009

Introducing a new press: SIGLIO



Once in awhile I come upon a new publishing house that makes me scream "oh my god!" Well, I'm not a big believer in the God concept, but you get the idea. Siglio is a new publishing house that has an interest in artists who are poets/writers, so you are getting a perfect match between writer and visual image.

The above illustration is the cover for Keith Waldrop's book"Several Gravities" which is his artwork and poetry, plus an essay on the great one. It's a remarkable book, where the images feed on the poems, and that is where the adventure lies. Beautifully elegant.



Also check out his translation of Charles Baudelaire's "Paris Spleen."



The other title put out by Siglio is "The Nancy Book" by poet/artist Joe Brainard. One can count me as a member of the Joe cult, because I am totally nuts about his artwork as well as his poetry. Superb on so many levels, this late god (there i go again!) like genius, who passed away in 1994, had a rather unhealthy obsession about the comic character "Nancy."

What we have here is a collection of his artwork devoted and on "Nancy."

Here's the cover:



And here is some of Joe Brainard's art:





Come down to Book Soup and check these books out.

No comments: