"I cannot live without books." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, May 28, 2009

New York Book Soup Diary Part 2

In Manhattan, I have this nasty habit of wanting to head West, but going East instead. Which on one hand makes me late for everything, but on the bright side I find something remarkable on the wrong-way direction:



Now this is a strange building heading towards East 23rd St. From a distance it looks like a slice of a cake. And then I thought the rooms must be really narrow at the end of the hall. I imagine one has a small desk, and if you stretch out your arms you will be touching both walls. It seems like H.G. Wells admired this building, therefore this quote: "I found myself agape, admiring a skyscraper — the prow of the Flatiron Building, to be particular, ploughing up through the traffic of Broadway and Fifth Avenue in the late-afternoon light. – H.G. Wells (1906)."

Going the wrong direction I passed the famous Hotel Chelsea.




This is a famous hotel where famous dead people lived and did unnatural things. Some of the famous people:


Edith Piaf


Arthur C. Clarke


Jean-Paul Sartre


Jack Kerouac (wrote On The Road at the Hotel

To be cont.

No comments: