"I cannot live without books." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Enchanted April: My annual reading delight.


In the early 1920s, Elizabeth von Arnim set herself a challenge: to write a book that was a universally happy story without being simple or insipid. Having recently ended an affair and, several years before, a marriage, she needed a story that would boost her spirits and hopefully do the same for those who read it.

The result shows that art is sometimes the best thing that comes out of difficulty. So many of us are swamped with difficulty and uncertainty during the current economic state, that it feels more appropriate than ever to turn to this delight of a story.

Who doesn't want to hear Lottie as she transforms from a shriveled and scared creature to a beacon of hope?

"If you wish for something hard enough, it happens," she says. And now, more than ever before, we want to believe her.

We only have one copy of this book in the store. I challenge a reader to come down and snatch it up because I promise that this one will be a read that you want to come back to. I can't think of another book that I read every year. Each time it reminds me to think hopeful thoughts and to be open to the best possible outcome.

This is something that all of us can learn from.

Read it this month. We can order more...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more! Own the book, and I've seen the movie over 20 times. A true gem. Thanks for sharing.